Humboldt-Universität zu Berlin - Kultur-, Sozial- und Bildungswissen­schaftliche Fakultät - Erasmus

Information About Studying

1. Course-specific Information


2. Generel Information

How do I apply at Humboldt University?

A guide to applying at the HU Berlin for international students can be found on the website of the International Office.


Where can I find the current course catalog (VVZ) of the Humboldt University in Berlin?

Students at Humbold University can find the entire VVZ online via AGNES.


How do you choose the courses?

Erasmus students at the Institute of Archeology and the Institute of Musicology and Media Studies are free to choose from the entire course program. There is no obligation to take complete modules. In addition, it is usually not necessary to sign up for courses. In this case, the note "Es findet keine Online-Einschreibung über AGNES statt!" appears in the detailed information for each course. If a pre-registration is necessary, usually a corresponding e-mail contact and a registration deadline is named in the comment field.

In practice, this means for students: Just before the beginning of the lecture, select all interesting courses and go to the first session. This provides an opportunity to get to know the lecturer in person, to get an overview of the exact seminar or lecture schedule, as well as information about what is expected of the students in the course. Many students use the first week of study as a "test phase" and attend many more courses than they ultimately prove. It is often decided on the basis of the first session, whether you stay in the course or not.

  • Note for students of musicology: It is wished that every Erasmus student attend an introductory course for (music) academic work. This is offered in a similar form each semester, often in module I.
How many ECTS points do I receive for my academic achievements?

ECTS points correspond to the so-called study points (SP). The exact number of SP that can be obtained in a specific course depends on the study level (BA, MA) and can be found in the course catalog. Simply select a course and go to the single view for more information. Under the subheading "Studiengänge", it is named how many SPs you get in each course, depending on the type of degree (= study level).

What is a MAP?

MAP stands for module final exam and is offered in every course. Often this is a thesis that is written during the semester break. Alternatively, it can also be an oral exam, a written exam or something completely different. The decision is up to the respective lecturer and will be communicated to the students at the beginning of the semester.

Erasmus students can not register for MAPs online through AGNES like regular students. If you want to do a MAP, you have to let the respective lecturer know. For students of the Department of Archeology there is a separate registration from.

There are additional study points for a MAP. How many depends on the subject area, the study level and the current study regulations.

Who will write my Transcript of Records at the end of my study stay in Berlin?

That is what the Erasmus Coordinators of the department concerned are all about. The prerequisite for this is that the student has all the proof of courses and grades for any MAPs in their original form. These documents form the basis for the content of the ToR.


How can I extend my Erasmus stay?

The website of the International Office offers detailed instruction on extending the Erasmus semester.